Thursday, July 25, 2013

No-Poo, or, Sulfates are the devil's handy work!

That's it I'm going no poo...again!** TMI ALERT** No this isn't like after I had the little one and humpty dumpty's intestinal tract wouldn't go back into place...I mean I'm going back to no shampooing again. EWWWWW! If you don't know what no-poo is crawl out from under your rock, or keep reading even though I'm in a snit of a mood. Snarky is what my husband calls it, but no bother. It's funny how we have a tendency to assume that everyone knows everything we do. It's funny how I assume that I can use the term we...perhaps I really am the only one! That's a scary thought for another time. The idea behind no-poo, (and there are much friendlier gals that explain this on other sites) is that our hair gets oily because we strip the oil off of it with shampoo, and it's overreacting. I don't care for drama, that's why I got a degree in Theatre, ( notice the fancy use of the e at the end )To bring an end to the drama on my head, I'm going no-poo. No really though, when you allow your hair to do what it does naturally it actually is wonderful. It feels better, it has more body, and there is a depth to it's color that isn't achievable for less than a hundred dollars at the salon and then only lasts for two weeks anyway...So if you stop using shampoo on your hair it will return to it's natural equilibrium in regard to oil etc. Unfortunately you do have to go through a transition...like a sprained ankle swells to the size of a basketball, so too will your hair turn into the deep fryer vat at Taco Bell ( who by the way are getting rid of kids meals, which makes me laugh, onward! )For some people the transition is easy, and for some it's downright ugly. Once your hair calms down, it doesn't get oily...well if you didn't have oily hair to begin with, I don't know about you guys. In theory it should work for you too, but maybe just take longer. So you stop shampooing, that's it really. You still bathe, for those of you who were going down that road, and you still massage your scalp, you just don't use shampoo. Some people use conditioner only, that works really well for curly hair, but in my case it negates one of the reasons for no-poo, which is product. I just can't find a product that I'm o.k. with. See I have very thin, baby fine hair, that thinks it might be curly but is afraid to commit. So basically I've been battling my hair all my life. The only time I really liked my hair was when I went no-poo for about a year. Now you say why did I stop? Frankly I don't remember, who can account for the things we are able to convince ourselves of! ( Preposition police ) You can use baking soda ( just a little ) to help with the oily drama, and apple cider vinegar for conditioner. It really is the best conditioner in the world. No kidding...! (So no kidding I tried to emphasize it with three d's but my computer won't let me...it fixes things for me...I don't know how I feel about that)  The vinegar smell does go away, just make sure you have a hair towel and a body towel. Never the twain shall meet. If my husband has been lying to me all this time then God bless him and you need to find one like him. I'll try to find a site that explains no-poo better without all this pesky chit chat. I'm running out of steam so I'll go and find those sites, and leave you with the knowledge that there is a greater reason to go no-poo, or at least sulfate free if nothing else. Which is another post for another time, cuz I'm pooped, hah! I liked this site, it talked about some of the horribleness of chemicals...It's like it's doing the work for me! Hah! I should look into this more!
Oh yeah and here too, but if you're easily scared, just go with the idea that your hair will look nicer.

And just as an exciting teaser...let's take a look at this...I will hop up onto my soapbox about this ridiculousness soon! Just scroll on down to section 15 and freak out...! Get out your protective chemical gear sweetie I need you to do the dishes! I know...it's completely overwhelming...I can't stay on my soapbox for too long, it makes me feel cheated and helpless...so instead I'm gonna go write about my little fantasy world.  Except this time I'm gonna try longhand...more on that later...love ya, but don't wash your dishes without gloves and goggles!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment...it's a pretty big deal to me! So have at!

Powered by WebRing.